Staff working in surgical facilities and other units handle patient's body fluids daily and contaminated instruments and dressings. Staff Change areas are provided for staff who work in surgical facilities such as Operating Unit and Sterilising Unit to change into appropriate work clothing or gowns, to store their street clothing and to perform personal ablutions. Staff Change which include shower facilities are also provided for Clinical staff who are in contact with patient's body fluid, change wound dressings and dispose contanimated clinical waste.
Change Rooms should be divided into Male and Female areas on a proportional basis and will include secure lockers, adequate change space, showers, toilets and handbasins. Secure storage for personal property will be required. Secure, staff only access to change rooms is required.
- Location of the change room eg. Close proximity between Staff Change room and Operating and Sterilising Units to minimise the travel time
- Number of lockers to suit staffing levels and operational policy
- Number of lockers to suite full time and part time staff members, students and visitors
- Provision of individual change rooms or open change area
- Provision of accessible Staff Toilet where required to comply with relevant workplace accessibility regulations
- WC should also be provided that is accessible for disabled people.
Acoustics: Sound attenuation level - medium; acoustic privacy required.